Servings: 6 to 8 portions
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Preparation time: 1-hour approx.
Serving time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Not too tricky
– 1 kg potato
– 200 grams chestnut flour
– 150 grams flour 00
– 1 egg
How to prepare Chestnut and Potato Gnocchi:
- Boil the potato with the skin on a low fire to avoid breakage.
- When the potatoes are cooked, peel and press them, through a vegetable mill or a potato masher, on the working surface. (Don’t be tempted to try a food processor for this; it will turn them to glue.)
- Mix the two flours and add to the potatoes.
- Add the egg and quickly mix all the ingredients. Do not work too long.
The dough for the gnocchi is rolled out, cut into small pieces, then pressed with a fork or a cheese grater to make ridges that hold the sauce.
- Divide the dough into pieces.
- With your hand make a long roll of dough as thick as a finger. Slice the roll every 2 cm, to obtain small cylinders.
- Continue until all the dough has been rolled and cut.
- Roll each gnocco (yes, this is the singular of gnocchi) over the large holes of a cheese grater or along the tines of a fork to impress the soft dough with a pattern.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and drop in the gnocchi. (You may do it in two batches)
- Cook the gnocchi until they rise to the top, then remove them with a slotted skimmer and transfer them to a heated platter or bowl.
- Mix with the sauce you have chosen and serve immediately.